Southern Girl

Thursday, August 26, 2010

SUMMER TIME CANNING

I'm doing a canning section In hopes that I will learn some more canning tips and recipes. That means (if you can)that I would love for you to share some of the things you can in the summer! I will also can a few things this summer and try to share them with you or just post recipes of stuff I've canned in the past. I can mostly give Thanks to my hubby for this section, he is the one that does the canning, I just help and do what he tells me to! I did do the pickles though, with my mom...

RASPBERRY JALAPENO JAM

This has been a very popular canning jam this year. Everyone I have let sample this, has gotten the recipe and made it. It's pretty quick to do and Delicious!

1-2 C fresh or frozen raspberries, 1/2 C finely chopped red or green pepper, 1/4 C finely Chopped jalapeno, 3/4 C vinegar, 3 C sugar, 1pkg liquid pectin.

In a Lg pot. Smash and stir raspberries, peppers, vinegar and sugar together. Cook and stir frequently until jam starts to boil. Boil for 3 min. Take off heat. Let stand for 5 min, then stir in Liquid pectin. Poor into 1/2 pint jelly jars. Hot bathe for 10 min. Raspberries and peppers all depend on how much heat you like. Take out jalapeno seeds for mild and leave a few seeds for little kick. I prefer more mild and it will still have a little kick without the seeds.
Serve over cream cheese w/ crackers (wheat thins and ritz are really good) I might make more of this around the holidays and give as gifts.

RASPBERRY JAM
5 Crushed raspberries, 7 C sugar, jelly jars
Using a potato masher to mash berries. Stir in Fruit Pectin. You can add 1/2 t butter to reduce foaming. Bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly. Add Sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil 1 min, stir constantly. remove from heat. Put in hot jars. leave 1/4 in headspace. Clean rims with damp cloth. Add lids and rims. Hot bathe for 10min.

RASPBERRY SYRUP
I found a recipe that is so simple that I might try doing more next year. It's equal part raspberries and sugar. I blended the raspberries in a blender first and then measured it that way. You just cook until it boils for 3 min. put in jars and hot bathe for 15 min. Serve over hot pancakes or waffles.

GARLIC PICKLES OR GREEN BEANS
I have to Thank my friend Angela J. for this and hopefully she won't mind that I shared! These are the best pickles I've tasted in a long time. Even my kids down these. I had to have store pickles the other day and about gaged. It's just not the same

Brine: 1 gal water, 1 qt vinegar, 1C salt. Bring to a boil
Fill Clean bottling jars with sprigs of dill (fresh is the best) and plenty of garlic cloves (6-7 in each jar). Then fill with cucumbers. Fill with boiling brine. leaving 1/2 inch space at top. Clean tops of jar and top with hot lids and secure with rings. Hot bath in full rolling boil water for 5 min. Let seal and then store for a few months to letthe pickles get the yummy garlic flavor.

You can also do Green beans with this same recipe.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog as I was looking through all your recipes on you facebook page. You are an amazing cook and I can't wait to try several of your recipes! I'm gonna call farmer Greg soon, because it's almost that time again- pickle time!!

    ReplyDelete