Southern Girl

Monday, August 16, 2010

MY HELPFUL COOKING TIPS

Okay this section is just going to be little helpful cooking tips that I use. Who doesn't like helpful tips right!!!

THE BEST OF TIPS:
Cook books, Food Magazines and Word of mouth is the best way to get a good recipe. I Love the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, Food and Family magazine, Paula Deen cookbooks and magazines, Taste of Homes recipes, Ward cook books and my Big Sister! There is many more, but I don't have all night. I am a collector of cookbooks and recipes, I should really organize them more often.
Another great tip is to check out cookbooks from the library and then copy the ones you want to try. I've been doing that and it saves me on having to spend a lot of money for new recipes. So don't be afraid to try new things, because usually they will be things you and your family will LOVE!!!!

COOKING BACON
I'm going to be honest and say "WE LOVE BACON!!!!" I know it's not the best way to get protein, but it's so good, we don't resist it.. You can always do a few extra minutes of exercising, right!
Well I have a couple of good tips when cooking bacon. 1ST: No matter how you choose to cook your bacon, RUN EACH SLICE UNDER COLD WATER FIRST. This was the best tip I ever got, because it keeps the bacon from shrinking to little bitty pieces. If you do this, your bacon will not loose it's size and it will be perfect with whatever you're doing with it.
2nd: Cook your bacon in the oven. I like this tip as well because it helps my house not smell overly run by bacon. It still smells a little, but it goes away faster. I line a cookie sheet with 2 layers of tin foil (saves on clean up) and place the bacon on it. I'll usually turn the oven to 375 or if I'm in a hurry 400. Cooking times will depend on how big and thick your bacon slices are. I usually start with 15 to 20 min, then just keep checking it until it is cooked the way I like it. Also when you take it out of the oven, tip the pan and drain as much grease a you can into a throw away container. (I have an old big diced tomato can that I keep under my sink and pull it out when I need to dump anything greasy) I also take the bacon off the pan and place on paper towels. I love bacon, but I hate to feel like I'm just eating grease. We usually cut are bacon in 1/2, because you get more slices out of it, but with the cold water trick, it makes the bacon a pefect size.
I've never tried the cold water trick when cooking it on the stove, it might make the grease splatter more. SO Oven or microwave is probably the best. In microwave I line a plate with paper towels and also place a paper towel on top. It soaks up the grease and it doesn't splatter in the microwave. I still try to get as much of the grease out as I can by dabbing with extra paper towels.


THE PERFECT BACON

No comments:

Post a Comment