Southern Girl

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DINNER IN A BOWL

Of coarse Dinner in a bowl is Soups, but I figured you would know that!

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

I really don't enjoy regular chili, but this one is so good. It reminds me of tortilla soup, which I love!

6 Cans Great northern beans (drained & rinse), 3 Cans chicken drained (I used cooked chicken), 32-oz cont chicken broth, 2 cans diced green chilies, 2 sm onions, chopped, 1 1/2 c. sour cream, 1 T olive oil, 2 t ground cumin, 1 1/2 t dried oregano, 1 t garlic powder, 1/4 t ground white pepper, 3 C monterey Jack cheese.

Combine all ingredients in a lg stockpot. Simmer 30 min or until heated. I put it in the crockpot and let it cook all day. You can also serve with more cheese and tortilla chips

EVELYN"S CHEESY POTATO SOUP

This recipe is from a very wise Grandma that was also a lunch lady. She definetly knew her way around the kitchen. Teresa, thank you for putting this in your cookbook! YUM!!!
4 C chicken broth, 5 c diced potatoes, 1 C. diced celery, 1 C diced carrots,
1/2 C diced onion, 3/4 C butter melted, 3/4 C flour, 2 C milk, 2 C. half and half

Boil veggies in broth until done, but slightly crunchy (about 10-15 min.)Mix flour and butter together and add to veggies. It will get very thick. Immediately stir in milk and half and half. Heat thoroughly. Stir often so bottom doesn't burn.
* I add shredded cheese to this as well and I also cook this in the crockpot. I throw the veggies in with chicken broth and then add a little bit of water to cover veggies. When veggies are done do the other steps.

CREAMY TOMATO BASIL SOUP
I got this one from my sister and she is a better cook then me. This also a good soup for using your garden food.

WHAT YOU NEED: 1 Lg onion, chopped, 2 cloves garlic, chopped, Saute these in 1/4 C olive oil, 1/2 stick of butter. Add 10-12 peeled, chopped tomatoes, 1/2 C fresh basil, 2-3 C chicken broth, salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Blend in a blender, return to pan. Boil and Add a little whipping cream. Let it cook until heated through and smooth. You can also add little mini cooked pasta if your kids would eat it better that way.


CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
This is my all time favorite soup. I know it has a lot of ingredients and steps, but if you have the time, SO WORTH IT!

In a large pot, heat 2 T olive oil. Add and simmer 1-2 jalapenos (seeds removed), 1 large onion, chopped, 3 stalks celery, chopped, 1/2 green and red pepper, chopped.
Add 1 sm can chopped stewed tomatoes and 1 can corn. Then add 6 cups chicken broth, 1 1/2 t salt, 1 1/2 t cumin, 1/2 t ground pepper, 2-3 C cooked, shredded chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min or until veggies are soft.
Top with any of the following: Chopped, fresh cilantro, monterrey jack cheese, chopped avocado, corn tortilla chips, sour cream. I always double everything, except the jalapenos, but you definetly want some for next days lunch.


THE ONLY BEEF STEW I EAT
This is also a recipe from my sister and I've never eaten any other beef stew since. Hense the name I used.

WHAT YOU NEED: 2 cans cream of chicken, 2 Cans cream of mushroom, 2 cans tomato sauce, 1 medium bag baby carrots, 4-6 peeled and chopped potatoes, 1/2 onion, chopped, 1 1/2-2 lbs stew meat, 7-8 beef bullion cubes.
Mix soups and tomato sauce together in a big bowl. stir in veggies, stew meat and bullion cubes. Pour into Crock Pot, Cook on high for 1-2 hours, then turn to low and cook 6-8 hours.


SOUP FOR DIPPING BREAD

I got this recipe from an old Deli Manager at Macey's, so there is Not a specific name for it. I always dip bread in it, but you could probably get creative and figure out other things for it.

WHAT YOU NEED: 2 C cooked and shredded chicken, 2 T butter, 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 C heavy cream, 1 C cream of chicken, 1/8 C onion. Garlic/ pepper to taste.
Cook in a pot until Hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment